I could blog all night about how much we loved watching baseball at Telus Field, and I would be complimentary of the Edmonton Oilers for an amazing job in running the team and making nights & days at Telus Field a great family entertainment product. If the Oilers can’t make a team in this league fly, frankly no owner can. (I DO wonder if with a first rate owner like the Oilers involved, Edmonton couldn’t take another run at a Triple A league team; but I digress).
So as I sit here, wishing for baseball, and wondering about how our great community can withstand such a hole in it’s summer schedule, I day-dream about something else we could do with the Telus Field. Here is my crazy idea:
A 100 team Slow-pitch tournament. A corporate challenge if you will.
- 100 Teams
- Played out over the May – September baseball season
- $1000 per team entry (proceeds to the United Way)
- City donates the field (less whatever they make in Beer and Hot Dog Sales)
- $1.00 per person entry ticket (proceeds to the United Way)
- A “March-Madness” style tournament where the 100 teams play down into a “City Championship”
- CRAZY uniforms, and mascots encouraged
- Throw in some local celebrity teams as wild-card games on a couple weekend evenings with concerts & fireworks
- FUN encouraged, and over $150,000 raised for the United Way
It’s crazy, would be fun and the Oilers could do the administration / logistics of the tournament. BECAUSE WE ARE LENDING THEM A COUPLE HUNDRED MILLION for a new arena
Why not Edmonton? Why not Oilers?blog comments powered by Disqus